PORTABLE TAPE RECORDER
Reels is based on a vintage Japanese reel to reel, ironically marked as High Fidelity, found in a distressed state at a local flea market. Most of these consumer tape recorders, also due to their age, produce has a very rough Lo-Fi analog sound.
During recording or playback, the motor noise somehow bleeds in, along with the usual tape hiss, limiting the actual bandwidth available on the tape.
Reels recreates all the imperfection of consumer reel-to-reel vintage recorders, including:
Much more than just a vinyl emulator, Vinyl Strip features 6 modules dedicated to recreating that classic vintage/old school sound of vinyl recording and sampling.
● Harshness, harmonic distortion with loss of clarity (mid-range)
● WOW/Flutter, pitch instabilities due to recording and playback issues
● Ducking, random volume loss due to tape or rec/play head imperfections
● Crosstalk, the leak between left and right channel in a stereo signal
● Hiss, high-frequency noise caused by the magnetic particles in the tape
● Motor, mid-frequency noise caused by the reels motor